The public entrance to the house is located at
The Weltzheimer/Johnson House is open to the public the first Sunday of each month, from April through November. Hours are 12pm until 5pm. Presentations on the architecture and history of the house begin on the hour (12pm, 1pm, 2pm, 3pm, and 4pm). Advance registration is highly recommended and available through this link.
PLEASE NOTE: The house is currently closed until further notice.
Admission is $10 per adult. Oberlin College students with ID and children under 18 are admitted free of charge.
Please contact the Education Department to reserve Student/Youth tickets in advance at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Parking is restricted to the south side of Morgan Street (the golf course side) on open house days. The house is located at 534 Morgan Street and set back from the road.
Click here for directions to the house from the Allen Memorial Art Museum and downtown Oberlin. Click here to download directions to the handicapped accessible entrance to the FLW House.
The Weltzheimer/Johnson House at Oberlin College is a Frank Lloyd Wright Usonian House situated several blocks from campus. Designed in 1947 and completed in 1949, it is the first Usonian house in Ohio and one of the few in the nation open to the public.
The Weltzheimer/Johnson House stands as another expression of Wright's answer to the demand for beautiful and affordable middle-class homes in the post WWII America. Pairing innovation with basic owner-builder construction materials and techniques, the concepts of organic architecture evolved into these Usonian characteristics: a flowing floor plan with distinct public and private wings; concrete, grid patterned, slab floor with radiant heat; flat roof and cantilevered carport; masonry fireplace mass; board and batten walls with simple built-in furniture; and tall glass walls and doors opening to the landscape.
The Weltzheimer/Johnson House uses brick masonry and redwood and has several distinctive features, including the hundreds of balls forming the roof dentil ornamentation whose circular motif is echoed in the perforated boards of the clerestory, and the interior brick columns that separate the workspace from the living room.
The Weltzheimer family lived in the house until 1963 when the property was sold to developers and "remodeling" efforts scarred the space. However, in 1968, Art History Professor Ellen H. Johnson purchased the home and began the restoration process. In 1992 at her death, the house was given to the Oberlin College Art Department and Allen Memorial Art Museum. The house is now open to the public for tours and programs.
Frank Lloyd Wright at Oberlin: The Story of the Welzheimer/Johnson House, Allen Memorial Art Museum Bulletin 49, no. 1 (1995), is available at the Weltzheimer/Johnson House during tour hours. Bulletin is $12 per copy.